When it involves the Game of Thrones, Tywin Lannister is one of the most impressive characters in the show or the books. His intelligence, ruthlessness and an unwavering work ethic made him one of the most formidable characters. Even those that sat on the Iron Throne envied him and the influence and power that he carried.
Played masterfully by Charles Dance, he dominated each scene he was in and talked rings round everybody from uncontrollable Joffrey to devilishly crafty Olenna Tyrell.
Tywin Lannister, the Great Lion, Warden of the West, and Hand of the King was maybe the richest and strongest man in Westeros for a long period of time before his demise.
Tywin shared expertise in instilling fear and placing individuals in their place, his family always coming first and foremost and his good traits come out more in his pragmatism. So he’s not likeable, however, he’s not evil incarnate either.
Here are his top 10 quotes from the series:
10. Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle than a dozen at dinner.
9. It’s the family name that lives on. It’s all that lives on. Not your honour, not your personal glory, family.
8. You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night.
7. I need you to become the man you were born to be. Not tomorrow, not next year. Now.I need you to become the man you were born to be. Not tomorrow, not next year. Now.
6. Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens.
5. You really think a crown gives you power?
4. No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise
3. When soldiers lack discipline, the fault lies with their commander.
2. A Lion Doesn’t Concern Himself With The Opinions Of The Sheep
1. Any Man Who Must Say ‘I Am The King’ Is No True King